photo home.png  photo youtube.png  photo myshop.png

Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Healthy Relationship

How do you know that you're in a healthy relationship and how to keep it that way?

With the world's population, currently almost reached 7 billion, how do you know which person is the right one for you? Is it possible? Or do you ever wonder if you're going to be a bachelor/spinster?

For some people who continuously seek a partner in life, they gamble everyday and go through a tough trial and error stage which is quite unfortunate. You are one lucky person if you have already met your perfect match. I have. Congratulations to all of us =B

Certain ingredients are essential in keeping a healthy relationship. It brings happiness to our lives, less stress and no pressure. This is my paradigm of a healthy relationship.

Trust - based on my experience, trust is a very important quality in a healthy relationship. My significant other lets me do anything i want as long as it makes me happy. I would definitely say we are very open and honest to each other. He doesn't care who i talk to, who i chat with and who i go out with. He gives me all the freedom i want, that according to him i completely deserve, yet he doesn't have to feel insecure because he knows exactly where he stands in my life. No wonder we're still together until now, going stronger, ten years and counting, no worthless interruptions. Thank God!

Respect - before we started dating, we already know what our usual routines are. We don't want to change anything we're accustomed to because we accept each other of who and what we are. Don't try to control or manipulate a person like you own them. Value them as a person, an individual, just let him/her be. Although, i try to adjust a little, know the boundaries. In return, i also respect his need for privacy. (sometimes =0)

Support - My better half stands by my side on the most difficult times in my life, helps me go through with it and always there to make me smile. I do the same to him. A healthy relationship is one who knows how to give and take. It should be a two-way street not a one-way ticket.

Communicate & Share - Another significant quality in a healthy relationship is understanding. Not only that means mutual understanding but also understanding each other. Take me and my hubby for example, i speak bisaya and tagalog while he speaks hangok mal, dialects from two totally different countries. We have to meet in the middle to understand each other. Bottom line, English is our primary language at home. Also, we see to it that we teach and share our own languages, traditions and beliefs to each other. Am glad we're both willing to learn and there is a lot of room for positive growth.

Love - of course. For me, the first few months, sometimes even first year, you can not really say you love a person. May just be a mere infatuation. Love takes time just like a tree that grows from a seed. Long distance relationships, for me, don't count. It's a waste of time. You get to know a person better if you live in the same roof. That's when you see their true colors, and as it gradually shows, you're starting to realize if he/she is the one you want to be with forever.

Photobucket

No matter how much you love a person, if you don't know how to practice these qualities listed above, too often such relationships fail. Of course, there's also a number of important factors involved to keep a healthy relationship, to wit: physically, financially, emotionally and sexually. Remind me if i forgot something.

They also say love makes the world go round and it's ALL you need. All you need??Then i say, "when hunger enters the door, love jumps out of the window". Duh!! Hmm, where did that come from?

Lastly, if i have said something offensive or not so pleasant to your eyes in reading this post, I do apologize. It's unintentional. I believe in the freedom of speech, and i just want to express what i truly feel inside. This blog is purely based on my own experience, not just my imagination. I expect everybody to respect that and i will do the same for you. You can leave me a message/comment, but please be subtle. Thanks!

2 comments:

christina said...

oooh loved this blog. all of it's so true!

and yes. we are very lucky :)

Bchai said...

I think you've got what it takes to keep a healthy relationship posted here. I can't think of anything to add! LOL...

Glad you & your hubby have a wonderful, healthy, and happy relationship. I hope it continues to grow deeper and stronger (more so than it already is) with each passing day! ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails